Recently, I was using DC Microheroes to play " If I wrote the Justice League". In the wake of the announcement of the reboot of the DCUniverse, I wanted to retool the rather dated 90s-style Jim Lee JLA. Brian Bendis has built the Avengers up as Marvel's premier franchise over the last six years or so. I think the JLA coud do worse than mimic his teams' "impact super-hero work". Think conspiracy thrillers and urban crime starring the big, marquee-name characters and some younger, less storied heroes- a blend of star power and a touch of cool, hopefully.
The World's Finest and intelligence operative/handler Diana Prince (because I find Amazon Wonder Woman too corny for words)
The Brave and the Bold...(and the coolest GL of all)
...and two wild cards: Halle Berry Catwoman and Constantine.
I thought an abrasive magician would be a bit edgier than Zatanna in her fishnets and a thrill-seeking burglar/safe-cracker woud bring the sexy. (I had toyed with these guys, who could bring diversity to the League-
- I really believe Vixen deserves a bigger role in the DCU and Hispanic La Garra/Wildcat recalls the cult status that Ted Grant had in the Bronze Age. But Catwoman- along with Wonder Woman and Batgirl- is probably the most reknowned of the DC Women and I liked the audacity of using this most reviled version.)
Last time round, I picked the new Batwoman but I think I'd like her as a reserve, along with Superboy, whom I almost chose as the Man of Steel's replacement:
In the longer term, potential new members include Mr. Terrific, Power Girl and Shift:
Honorary members- for Crises on Multiple Earths or Blackest Nights- would include:
and this pair because they're cool and Starman is an iconic name:
Meanwhile, this duo have to make an appearance:
Other teams to clash with: Batman's covert Black Ops squad, the Outsiders
... Oracle's heroes for hire, the Birds of Prey...
...and the Trenchcoat Brigade, the Sentinels of Magic
Mr. E is rather creepy and Baron Winters quite ambivalent. Both Kid Eternity and Ragman might make interesting Leaguers.
A handful of intriguing, international guest-stars...
Blue Beetle, El Diablo and Manhunter...
Isis, Jonni Thunder P.I. and Ystina, the Shining Knight
...and two true originals:
Bring on the Bad Guys: I, Vampire (Andrew Bennet) and Jason Todd, the Red Hood
and the Secret Society of Super Villains
and two more ambivalent gentlemen...
I'm quite excited by the Bendis League of America. Next time, I've got a new take on the Dome and the Global Guardians and a couple of off-the-wall Bronze Age characters I'd like to spotlight.
The Legal Bit: All images are presumed copyright of their respective owners.































































No comments:
Post a Comment