Today's post is a flight of fancy that came to me about a fortnight ago.
I haven't posted for a while; in fact, I haven't been able to post or edit on Place for a couple of weeks and since my home computer died in the winter, I've been restricted to the public access PCs in my local library. I've also been on holiday in the Rhins of Galloway during one of the hottest summers for years. So, more on Conan and Lin Carter; the BBC2 horror double bills; superhero movies and Dr. Who audios in the days to come -hopefully- but for today: "What if Jack Kirby wrote and drew Batman in 1974?".
As you'll see (eventually) on my other blog, Materioptikon, I've been reading DC 100-page Super-spectaculars from 1973-75: especially Detective Comics and Batman. The latter went through a particularly unfunny phase with O'Neill and Novick, reviving the Silver Age villains with a strong dash of Adam West campery.
But what if, alongside Omac, with its themes of genetics, politics, mechanisation and wealth, the King of Comics was given one last prestigious assignment before his return to Marvel? Before the Madbomb, before the Eternals and the Black Panther, and making free with some of the one-off ideas spun out in First Issue Special, I give you: Jack Kirby's Batman.
254: Man-Bat :"The DAMNED come here in ENDLESS variety! Gotham City! Stay out!! Come at your Peril!!!
Chief O'Hara says "Ah, be OFF with ye, laddie!"
256: Batman's Love Story featuring Catwoman and King Tut: "Creeping...Stalking...and ready to Pounce!!!"
Batman says: "You DON'T have to lead a life of crime, Selina!!!"
257: The Penguin " When the individual can find himself at the mercy of advanced technology wielded by an organised and RUTHLESS enemy, this book is important to ALL of us!!!"
Commissioner Gordon says " He's at the top of the heap--an ugly, RAT-INFESTED heap!"
258: The Cavalier, introducing The Dingbats: "The most incredible duel in the history of comics!!"
Robin says: "Freeze, you crooked DUM-DUMS!!!"
259: Manhunter versus the Hog " He stalks! He kills !! He CAN'T be stopped!!!"
260: " Fear has many names...when it comes alive..the cry is JOKER!!!"
Alfred says: "Entertaining at an orphans fund party, MAWSTER Bruce?"
261: Etrigan the Demon: "Raw Power versus The Occult!!"
"And behind the scenes...King Kobra?!! A Mind-Snapper!"
Obviously, this is just a fantasy but I believe the gargoyle-infested environs of Gotham, its gallery of gangland grotesques and the youthful, questing energy of a Teen Wonder might just have tickled the King's fancy. What do YOU think, friend?! Would you JUST BUY IT?!!
All images are presumed copyright of their respective owners
Quotes inspired by or adapted from the work of Jack Kirby









I don't think Jack's style of art or writing would've suited Batman. Jack couldn't really do 'subtle' (I mean in execution, not concept) - and that's what Bats needed back then.
ReplyDeleteI recently read O'Neil's script where Bats overcomes the Joker's toxin by recollecting Marx Brothers movies; the Goodwin Detective issues are infinitely better than that. I didn't think a Kirby Batman would be popular, which is why I dreamed up a short run.
ReplyDelete