Yesterday was my birthday and I thought I might have the Netflix Daredevil series on dvd now. I don't but I do have quite a fine haul instead:
However, I had planned to write about DD and another carmine-clad urban crimefighter, since I'm finding myself more interested in the "street-level" characters these days. So: Daredevil Season One. This is a hardcover graphic novel that retells the origin and early career of the Sightless Swashbuckler. You'll recognise this format from DC's Earth-One imprint - and my review of Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman .
Most of my familiarity with ol' Hornhead is from MWOM in the 70s. I'd say I probably read four colour comics in the Colan period between '69-70; two in '74-75 and perhaps a further five in '76-77. I also bought about four of the early-80s Frank Miller/Klaus Janson issues but despite the adulation, I didn't really warm to Elektra, the Hand and Bullseye. My favourite iteration is actually the Loeb/Sale Daredevil: Yellow and this book revisits that period.
There are the same encounters with the FF and Electro; The Owl (too mutant-y and not human enough); Killgrave; Mr. Fear and a rather convincingly dangerous Matador.
The art is unremarkable and blandly millennial: a pastiche of Jim Lee's Superman or at least a Mike Zeck Daredevil really jumped out at me. The story is better, with themes of justice, fraud and identity explored in a tv-style narrative. It's still not nearly as stylish or poignant as Yellow, however,
What happened to the Season One line? The tv-speak label seems understandable given the way comics (especially Marvel) work to maintain links with television and movie product. I was surprised that we didn't see Season One Captain America, Punisher or Ghost Rider, I wonder if it stopped because the books themselves are so derivative and unmemorable.
The Batwoman series is hyped with a New York Times encomium as "the most satisfying read of the New 52". I'd say that, by comparison, Aquaman, Action Comics and Batgirl were actually all more enjoyable.
Since first learning of her debut, back in the 52 weekly series of a whole decade ago, I thought that this "kickass" and Out gay heroine would be an inspirational Justice Leaguer, But when Batgirl got all social-media savvy and became the hipster Caped Crusader, I was curious about what made Kate anything other than the lead in a generic Goth Bat-book, besides her sexuality.
Maggie Sawyer and Mr. Bones are on hand as Batwoman and her cousin Bette (aka Flamebird and, perhaps, the Bat-Girl of the Sixties) track down the spectral nighthag, La Llorna. Hydrology is very decompressed read. There are not enough Batwoman scenes to my taste and aside from one erotic sequence, I fail to see how Kate is different from Babs or any version of the Huntress.
It's all very atmospheric but in spite of her nightclubbing, Kate isn't a very attractive character. She seems as grim and forceful as her Bronze age Marvel-style mission statement: " proud lesbian, brave soldier, determined hero". In a visually impressive collection, Batwoman remains striking but unknowable.
Coming up her and on the 'optikon: Fritz Leiber; Teen Titans; Vigilante (again!) ; Spidey; and the Master
All images presumed copyright of their respective owners



Batwoman sounds totally tedious, so I'll be giving it a miss. Jump back to my Kirby Kover post, Dougie, for an interesting reply to your comment.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, Dougie.
ReplyDeleteThanks, gents.
ReplyDelete