First appearing as a giant-sized comic in the early 60s, SO is a title which has been revived numerous times, most recently in 2014-15. Its most celebrated incarnation was as a long-running series in the 80s, delving into the muddied waters of the post-Crisis DCU.
The 1973 incarnation, helmed by E. Nelson Bridwell, ran for seven issues, beginning with Batman, Superman and the Flash, including the primal Golden Age debut stories of the World's Finest Superheroes. In addition to the Schwartz iterations of Atom and Green Lantern and the Weisinger Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes,this series revisited the Golden Age beginnings of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Wildcat, the Spectre, the Vigilante and Kid Eternity.I didn't buy any more issues after number one because the more primitive art styles turned me off.
But what if there were further issues of Secret Origins in 1974? Whose origins might ENB disinter from the DC Vault? What would I have wanted to see in the comic?
This speculation is based upon the popularity or profile of a number of other characters in the early Bronze Age.
8) Metamorpho/ Ultra the Multi-Alien
The Fabulous Freak featured in brand-new back-ups in Action Comics during 1972 and as a guest-star in World's Finest in '73 . I think Bridwell would have wanted to reprint his origin for new readers.The ultra-obscure Ultra has a similar design and physical make-up and might have returned in a Len Wein JLA story of the period.
9) Sargon The Sorceror/ Prince Ra-Man
Sargon had been re-introduced as an anti-hero in the Flash and as a guest-star in JLA. Prince Ra-Man was a reincarnation of the magical investigator Mark Merlin but was essentially a mentalist, like Captain Comet. And like Ultra, he's very obscure.
Zatanna's quest for her father Zatara would be reprinted in Super-Specs and so, unfortunately, I've disqualified the Maid of Magic from this run although her presence in Adventure Comics should've earned her a place.
10) Captain Comet/Adam Strange. DC would feature the mutant hero and the Jet-Age John Carter in 1976's DC Super Stars of Space but I would feature them both a couple of years earlier. Their cerebral natures and their colour schemes link them naturally together. I was very tempted to feature Space Ranger, instead of Adam...
11) Johnny Quick Doll Man. JQ appeared in a couple of Super-Spec reprints. His speed formula is essentially a magic word but his cheerful demeanour and sunny garb contrast vividly with frowning Jay Garrick and his Attack Eyebrows. Doll Man was the inspiration for the Silver Age Atom and Ant-Man. In addition to being one of the Freedom Fighters of Earth-X, he also appeared in a couple of Noir-ish reprints- including one in Wanted.
I was very tempted to go with the Golden Age Hawkman, however. His first encounter with the Ghost appeared in the 70s SO debut issue but I question the logic of featuring super-villain origins; Wanted seemed the logical platform. I'm surprised the Winged Wonder's Egyptian antecedent wasn't depicted.
12) The Ray/Mr. Terrific. The final issue of my imaginary extended run would feature another of the Freedom Fighters plus perhaps the most obscure JSA member to appear in the summer Crises.
As I said yesterday, the new gay Ray isn't in the new Justice League although he has appeared on TV's Legends of Tomorrow. He's also the second new Ray in the last half-dozen years but as the only LGBTI JLAer in the public eye, it's unfortunate that he's not in any of the contemporary teams.
The original Defender of Fair Play had a minor role in two JLA-JSA team-ups prior to 1973. I can't recall ever seeing a single one of his adventures reprinted in the early Bronze Age. I don't think I've ever seen him out of costume, even when he was murdered by the Spirit King in the late 70s.
There we must leave the heady days of the early 70s; I have another bank appointment about selling my flat! Which origin should have been retold in the pages of Secret Origins?
All images are presumed copyright of their original owners












No comments:
Post a Comment