It’s cald,
min and grey up here, as my eighth week in lockdown begins. I self-isolated
from the 17th of March when I started developing viral symptoms. Now, my asthma
is a shade worse and I’m getting fat on biscuits but I’m okay otherwise.
Last week
marked the first time I’ve ever had broadband in this flat. I can finally work
from home more effectively and so, I thought it was time to complete this blog
post I began nearly a month ago, during what I thought of as the Easter
holidays.
At that
time, I finished the second Big Finish box set of the ninth series of
adventures for Tom Baker’s legendary Fourth Doctor.
Planet of
Witches by Alan Barnes felt very long and difficult to follow. I thought of it
as a mash-up of 1978’s Underworld and 1968’s The Krotons, with a touch of The
Witchfinders from 2018. The bog planet with its wicker men, under the control of a megalomaniac, seemed more suited
to a DWM comic strip. There was yet another pointless “K9’s been destroyed”
cliffhanger and while I did laugh at how eager Romana was to be rid of Adric, I
found this a tedious adventure, cliched and terribly derivative.
Quest of the
Engineer is another play by 80s wunderkind, Andrew Smith, who blocked me on
Twitter when I pointed out he’d contradicted himself. Ach weel- he seems to be
a hidebound right-winger with the tedious military fetish of our generation. I simply point out that, while I have also been blocked by Eddie Robson (and New Zealander Scott Gray has feigned incomprehension when I tweeted about my country), I have been retweeted by Paul Cornell.
Anyway, this was another retro homage to our adolescence: “Doctor Who’s Star Wars” with
a hint of Poe (Edgar, not Dameron)- eeeevil cyborg villains and planet-smashing
gravity weapons. It’s redeemed by a charming performance by tv sitcom legend,
George Layton and by the end of episode three I was better disposed to its
derivative pulpiness. But with dialogue like “I’ll be the one asking the
questions”, Smith’s style, forty years later, is still that of an earnest and
clever 18 year old.
The first
story in the fourth volume of First Doctor Adventures seemed like
quintessential Big Finish: an unnecessary sequel to The Mutants that allows for
David Bradley’s Doctor to have an encounter with the Daleks. To my huge
surprise, however, Andrew Smith’s Return to Skaro makes clever use of static
electricity. On a Skaro where the Daleks
are collaborating with the Thals, treachery can’t be far away, of course, which
is symptomatic of Smith’s comic strip style. There is also far too much telling
us what we’d see, if we could- and yet the cliffhanger ending of episode two
actually depends on not being able to see weaponless Daleks. The finale is also
a bit of a damp squib as we’re told the Daleks have retreated and their city
destroyed. Nevertheless, the story did manage to capture Hartnell’s era and
blended it with the derring-do of British comics.
Last of the
Romanovs by Jonathan Barnes is a very slow and action-free look at the fate of
the Tsar and his family. We don’t hear quite enough interaction with the
Romanovs to care for them but it’s quite easy to visualise this story in Lime
Grove monochrome. Barnes conjures an absurd image of Susan and Barbara dressed
as nuns. Also, I don’t feel DW handles genuine menace and cruelty well; fantasy
violence, as it were, is a different story but DW couldn’t and shouldn’t do a
story about the Holocaust, for example. Although I could imagine the
sentimental John Dorney attempting it.
John
Albasiny of P’tang Yang Kipperbang fame, plays the chimney sweep Makarenkov
very well and Dan Starkey plays the heavy, Yarovsky. The open-ended fate of
Anastasia was silly, however,since the mystery was resolved, in reality, some
sixteen years ago. Interestingly, Bradley’s Doctor doesn’t have any of the
impishness of Hartnell- maybe that’s because the character of Vicki allowed him to develop the more comedic
aspects of Dr. Who.
In the final
analysis, this instalment of the alternative history of the First Doctor was
more engaging than the most recent exploits of the Fourth.
Tomorrow, we start attempting to teach the new senior phase online with Microsoft Teams. But I also hope to start posting twice weekly. I have a backlog of notes on Tigra, Ditko, Star Trek graphic novels and of course, more Big Finish box sets.
Stay safe.
Tomorrow, we start attempting to teach the new senior phase online with Microsoft Teams. But I also hope to start posting twice weekly. I have a backlog of notes on Tigra, Ditko, Star Trek graphic novels and of course, more Big Finish box sets.
Stay safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment