It must getting on for eight or nine years since I first discovered Fanzing online and Unca Cheeks the Toy Wonder's Silver Age site. This post is inspired by Cheeks' two-part ' "If I ran the Justice League". You may remember I posted my picks for a celluloid JLA some weeks ago. Oh, it's gone much further than that.
Allow me to quote Ambush Bug's little pal, from the aforementioned article: Pay a quick, cursory visit to darned near any comics-oriented message board or discussion group, online... and, invariably, you'll be forced to the inevitable conclusion: everybody and his (or her) uncle knows -- just knows, darn it! -- that they, and they alone, hold the secret to the ultimate, perfect Justice League roster.
There's only one thing wrong with the logic behind this particular folles du many: I -- and I alone -- hold the secret to the ultimate, perfect JUSTICE LEAGUE roster.
Katana? Robotman? Not so fast, bub.
The JLA comprised DC's mightiest heroes, combined to take on galaxy-spanning threats. I think a leaf from Bendis's book is called for; a League with a more Earthbound focus. So, without further ado, here come your Super Friends...
1) Superman, of course. I have to quote Cheeks again, here: "So far as I'm concerned -- and its a view I share, apparently, with former JUSTICE LEAGUE scrivener emeritus Steve Englehart -- it's The Big Blue who's actually "the heart and soul of the Justice League"... NOT the Martian Manhunter , as has been opined [on numerous occasions] within the pages of the book itself." Also, I want to go back to the Man of Steel's roots and pitch a crime-busting enemy of political corruption. And I like the Routh costume.
2) The dread Batman. The World's Greatest Detective; one of the richest men in the world; the deadliest crime-fighter of all time and the coolest member. Even if I not-so-secretly prefer this one:
3) The Flash. Wally West, because even after twenty-odd years, I want someone who's still a little awed to be on this team even though he's earned it.
4) Green Lantern. The Bruce Timm version of John Stewart: ex-military, honourable and dedicated. The coolest GL. (Hal Jordan is a klutz and that Arisia thing...creepy.)
5) Green Arrow. The Batman wannabe who lost his fortune. Impulsive, hot-headed, flawed.
6) Batwoman. A goth lesbian vampire heroine. Are you really surprised she got the traditional Wonder Woman spot?
7) Constantine. The 21st century Phantom Stranger and Unca Cheeks' truly inspired selection. When your most powerful member is vulnerable to magic, do you go to a stage magician in fishnets for back-up? Or an irreverent, acerbic English magus with a tobacco addiction?
In a complex world of financial uncertainty, political instability and information crime, a team of metahumans like these need a handler with a grasp of the global Big Picture:
8) Spy Smasher. Katarina, an anti-terrorist agent and Oracle's rival, is the DCU's Jack Bauer. Very, very dark.
Putting together a contemporary team wasn't easy for an old Bronze Age-r. I recognise that what the JLA probably needs is not James Robinson (the Goth Roy Thomas) and his collection of substitutes, obscurities and quirky cult favourites ; but the most popular-or at least recognisable- characters at DC. That didn't stop me considering these "weirdies", however:
Captain Comet: DC's first mutant, Adam Blake has a telekinetic ability that isn't duplicated by any other Leaguer and he has a history that stretches back half-a-century. However, GL notwithstanding, I don't really see Space Opera as a flavour in my book. Which also invalidates...
Big Barda. Kirby's big, bold warrior from Apokolips was in the frame to replace Wonder Woman but I never feel the New Gods characters are a good fit in the mainstream DCU.
I've always viewed The Seraph, the Man Who Works Miracles, as a Christian equivalent to Superman and potentially a major DC icon; but he wouldn't be a good fit with the demonic Hellblazer.
The strangest selection-and the one that most appealed to me- is Ditko's extra-dimensional freedom fighter Rac Shade.Maybe he'd work in his more Op-Art incarnation, in a more New Wave sci-fi story.
Many of the names traditionally associated with the League seem to me to be more suited to the venerable Justice Society: Hawkman or the Atom, for example. Others have limited -or no- appeal for me- Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter. I'm thinking blatant commercialism here, folks (and I'm saving Plastic Man for the gala 50th issue!)
I know. Your head is spinning with the possibility for four-colour fantasy this blog has engendered and you're wondering what wonderment I could wring out of the House of Ideas.
What would Unca Cheeks say?
Since I've already done one of these mental exercises/wish fulfillment thingies for DC's JLA... I figured "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" merited an "equal time" response. At the very least.
Say no more, then.
Without this trio, we have simply another assemblage of Marvel's squabbling everymen. They have their surrogates, obviously: Hercules, the Black Knight, USAgent- but without these three, the Avengers lack grandeur. Also, they're frickin' movie stars.
Some may call Hawkeye the heart and soul of the Avengers; the one who dedicated his life to it. But to me, this guy is the real star of the book. He had the corner box for years, after all:
The brooding, enigmatic Vision has fared worst, in my opinion, since the Bendis juggernaut rolled over Avengers mansion. I want to put that right.
Unlike the JLA, whom many fans see in terms of the Big 7, the Avengers has never had a "magic" membership number associated with it. But in the Silver and Bronze Ages, the number of active members only rarely exceeded four or five until Gyrich's governmental intervention in 1979. My Avengers team has two more slots to fill:
I don't think I'll ever feel entirely comfortable with Wolverine in the Avengers- although it makes marketing sense. However, the inclusion of Spider-Man since 2005 seems to have worked extremely well. Spidey, as well as being one of the World's most familiar characters, brings neurotic humour to the group.Although for the sake of diversity, I would love the Indian version, Pavitr Prabhakar :
That all-important sixth and final slot goes to a distaff member. It might seem sexist but there are so few Marvel superheroines that really have the popularity and/or the power to deserve membership. I considered Ms. Marvel and the new She-Hulk; Storm duplicates Thor in some ways, Elektra is an assassin and the Black Widow is on my West Coast team. Then it struck me- Jeff Parker's version of Janet Van Dyne from Marvel Adventures Avengers- Giant Girl:
I think this is Stature- Cassie Lang from Young Avengers- because there's no Kirbyesque Micro of Giant Girl.
There are a couple of heroes that I feel deserve membership, although I think only one would really make the cut: either the Man Called Nova or Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar. I think it has to be Monica because as much as I like Nova, he's duplicated by Iron Man and was meant to be a hybrid of Spidey and GL.
But if my book were set in the MC2 universe, I could have one of Marvel's most successful heroines-Spider-Girl- and a teen who should have been a break-out character, J2:
...and just for fun, here are my Whackos again with their handler and their necrotic nemesis:
What consitutes your perfect super-team roster? Some time in the future, we'll look at the bad guys I'd like to feature in my "books"; and stay tuned for "If I ran the X-Men"...
The Legal Bit: this is a blog for nostalgia, fun and comment. Every image is assumed copyright of its respective owner(s).
























No comments:
Post a Comment