Saturday, 14 May 2011

Thirty

The other week, I outlined my character picks for a movie franchise Justice League of America. Here they are again, plus one cosplay enthusiast!





 But who would be the black hats, the antagonists, the World's Most Dangerous Villains?
 This is a fantastic cover from my childhood, at once comical and scary:
Unfortunately, even though my nephew was scared of Cartoon Grodd at three and a half, I don't see the world's movie audience going for it. At one time in the mid-70s, however, DC was poised to release "Grodd of Gorilla City"- the super-ape in his own series! Another anthropomorphic monster crossed my mind:
A dynamic Kane cover, but  while The Shark's appetites might be suitably gruesome for the 15+ crowd, he's not much of a threat to Supes. Here's another cover that fascinated me as a little kid:
 Professor Zoom is such a DC name but again, the Reverse-Flash wouldn't pose a problem for the Caped Kryptonian, even though he is Flash's Green Goblin.
When it comes to mayhem, the Gotham Gang are past masters:
 The Penguin issue is the first DC Batman comic I ever read; the kids across the street had it.

 I'd get a kick out of seeing these Dastardly Villains reunited on screen.  By the way, here's my first exposure to Batman in print; on the cover of Power Comics' Smash
and in 1967, in text stories from TV Tornado:
A villainous group seems one way to go, definitely. Another of my favourites is this multi-generational pack of JSA foes, from the 80s:
I wear a top hat now; toppers are cool
Of course, the JLA were known at first for their extra-terrestrial foes, like this needle-nosed dictator from Antares:
But I put Constantine in the League for a reason; if you're going to challenge Superman, you need a magickal foe. I'm going for this Lovecraftian loon from one of my earliest JLA memories:
Another (obscure) possibility is the demoness Tala from the Phantom Stranger's pages:
 PS is one of the coolest-looking magicians ever. Fact.
 Or we could give this Thor tribute act a shot:



That's it! The tyrant of the Sorcerers World! And the Giant JLA inspires cameos from these guys:


Who wouldn't want to see this? Of course, it'd have to be split in two, like Deathly Hallows. You like?
Next: Bring on the Bad Guys (again)

The Doctor Who blog will return.
The Legal Bit: All images are presumed copyright of their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment