Four favourites of mine have been featured but I suspect they're probably not household names, unlike the Joker, Catwoman or even Luthor.
What an eye-catching cover! This weird fusion of man and machine was played by Alfred Molina and proves Ock works best when connected to Peter Parker (The film is terribly slow-moving, however, as I found when I tried to teach it). Here's my first introduction to Flint Marko, the villain brought most faithfully to screen;
Could this BE more Sixties?
My brother was two months old and The Macra Terror was on tv (but I don't remember that). The third major Marvel villain -and perhaps the greatest- didn't quite come off in the FF films. Here he is in an unusual clash with DD from my hospital stay in '72 and (again from Ayr) in a one-off solo story:X-Men First Class isn't out yet but I'm interested to see the new Magneto. Sir Ian's felt a little too elderly and frail to me but I thought he captured something of the original:
I liked the days when Evil Mutants were a little less Kozmic
Again from the Sixties, here are two composite villains for the price of one: the Super-Adaptoid and the first non-mutant X-Man, the Mimic. I reckon the latter would make a great movie villain. When I was a little kid, on holiday in Girvan, I thought this big green creature was the Blob. Don't ask me why. I can remember my mum reading this to me.MODOK is one of Kirby's great grotesque villains, like the Misfit in Kamandi or the slightly ludicrous Arnim Zola:
Kirby's Yellow Claw , meanwhile, was a great sci-fi villain in the Steranko Nick Fury stories whereas Englehart played up his Sax Rohmer roots, with mummies, giant insects and a dwarf geneticist sidekick. Nonetheless, like the Mandarin and pulp antecedent Fu Manchu, the Claw is quite an embarrassing racial stereotype.
The Fantastic Four probably deserve a post simply for their own villains from the Puppet Master to Annihilus- but one of their spin-offs featured another villain grouping: the Evil Inhumans.
Essentially Loki-lite, Max oscillated between child-like lunatic and Ming the Merciless . His henchmen included a centaur, a tree-man , a living shadow and Falcona who controlled...a flock of falcons. Sam Wilson couldn't do that. Roy Thomas and Neal Adams gave Maximus a suitably imperious new costume and mind-controlling abilities. I love villains who can do that!
Again- why is the Vision not in the Avengers when Iron Fist is?
Now for a couple of supernatural entries:Actually, I'm just posting this-once more,from my cousin's collection- because Doc and Black Knight look psychedelically stunning, not for the grinning dimensional tyrant, Tiboro. I'm struck now how the Master of Black Magic resembles the Simon/Kirby Vision of 1940.
Actually, I'm going for two of Thomas's vampire villains:
Morbius the Disco Vampire would also make a good movie villain. Baron Blood is a disciple of Marvel's Dracula and appeared in an arc in one of my 70s favourites, The Invaders. What a movie that would make! And here's the Lord of the Undead, who did battle with Doc Strange and the X-Men:
I bloody love Neal Adams!
I have to be different: I like the Chris Claremont/Don Heck giant-size issues. But some of the Wolfman/Colan issues are haunting and unforgettable.I'm back with Neal Adams for one of the most imposing and underused X-Men villains. Why so many Juggernaut stories when you have the Living Monolith?
Stan and Jack introduced the Stranger as an exotic alien super-being who collected mutants, bringing the first Brotherhood story arc in X-Men to a surprise end. Gil Kane turned the Stranger into one of his vengeful Old Testament gods, intent on wiping out humanity: a bit like Next Gen's Q or this guy:
Captain Action's Dr. Eeeevil.
The Stranger also turned up in Silver Surfer and Captain America(!). I like his look but he's always been a bit one-dimensional:Any excuse to post a picture of Moondragon, albeit a tiny one...
The last two world-beaters have sought out cosmic power sources and fallen victim to their own egos on numerous occasions
Squint and you can almost see Mantis again...
Thanos the Mad Titan should never have been resurrected in the 90s and the Cross-Time Kang story should have written finis to the Conqueror's career; both characters became diluted. But for me, this pair are the biggest and baddest Marvel has to offer.No room, really, for so many also-rans: Zemo; Ultrana; Typhon; Brain Drain; Viper. A blog on the FF does seem likely, however. They were my first favourite super-team.
Which hero(es) from the Mighty World of Marvel would you like to see get the big screen treatment?
Next: Her Indoors
The Legal Bit: All images are presumed copyright of their respective owners.



















No comments:
Post a Comment