Friday, 27 May 2011

Microverse

Last time, I was using Micro Heroes to establish my fantasy gritty, urban crime JLA roster and a traditional Avengers line-up in the Thomas/Busema/Adam style. I'll begin this blog with the antagonists lined up for the Assemblers:
 Firstly, some obscure alien conquerors from the Sixties: Ixar and Ultrana, the Ultroids
 Next, Deluge, a weather-manipulating mutant and Maximus, mad master of the Great Refuge:
 Here's a possible new Avenger in the aftermath of the Eternal/Inhuman War: Ikaris, a Kirby creation I'm surprised no one thought to include before.
 Meanwhile, on the West Coast: two more guest stars. Exorcist Daimon Hellstrom and monster hunter Elsa Bloodstone (I love HellSTORM's tiny trident!).

Now, If I ran the X-Men...
 In assembling my roster, I had two rules. The first: no Wolverine. The world's most over-exposed superhuman holds zero appeal for me. Secondly, I wanted to adhere to the model of the Original X-Men: the team leader, steeped in tragedy; the acrobat; the youth who can alter the substance of his body; the competitive hero with avian characteristics; and the Girl.



I am dividing the distaff role to inlude both the most powerful and regal female mutant (and frickin' movie star) Ororo; and Nancy Lu aka Push, a young telekinetic introduced in Spider-Girl. Push lends further diversity to the team and fulfils the Kitty Pryde/novice role.

Two more superhero women to round out the numbers: firstly, the team's slinky living database Sage and then Cerise, Nightcrawler's alien love interest:
 ...and if we really need the Best there is at What they Do, let's make Wild Thing an occasional guest-star!
On the villianous side, two of the most eeevil Evil Mutants, Magento and Selene:
 If I ran the Fantastic Four, I'd shake up the membership for a while then reassemble it for an anniversary issue.
 The Storm siblings go on a quest for Johnny's former bride, Lyja and two of Xavier's alumni volunteer to replace them:

Just to balance out the testosterone, I'd also bring back three of my favourite FF gals, Marvel Girl, Caledonia and the disabled heroine, Wildstreak:

 and eat your heart out Skrulls! The New FF have to combat the (Space) Phantom Menace!

Now, as for the Bendis-style JLA... the main bad guy for my run would be the Demon's Head himself: the ageless world-beater Ra's al Ghul:
 But I also want to pit the League against a pair of their old foes - the ghoulish Dr Destiny and, although I previously said no Space Opera, the vampiric Starbreaker:
 and speaking of vampiric, my WCA Vampire War plot seems too good not to use as the basis for an INTER-COMPANY CROSSOVER!
Here's the protagonist for the DC vampire arc, Andrew Bennett-I, Vampire.
 Bennett goes head to head with Marvel's queen of the cadvers, Lilith. This arc leads to the foundation of a new Justice League Europe and these guys are potential candidates: Thunderbolt, Jack O'Lantern, Knight and Squire, Fleur de Lys, Godiva and Little Mermaid.


Here's one more guest-star for the JLA: the Lady Fox herself, Vixen

Another great cross-over tradition is the Crisis on Two Earths.If I ran the Justice Society, I'd return them to Earth-2 and I'd turn the old Black Canary/ Red Tornado trick around and have a couple of heroes migrate from Earth-1!
 Here are the JSA's team leader and the strategist, Power Girl and Mr. Terrific:
 Then, one of the team's most iconic members and the first of those Earth-1 migrants, Ryan Choi, the Atom:
 Next, the most mysterious and powerful member Dr. Fate; and the youngest, Stargirl:
 
Then, one of the deadliest and most sultry members and the in-house medic: the Huntress and Dr. Midnight.
 Finally, that other Earth-1 visitor: Checkmate liasion and intelligence agent Mlle. Marie (wait 'til she meets Spy Smasher in next summer's Crisis!)
Naturally, I want to have an Injustice Society: a Checkmate Dirty Dozen gone badly wrong. This Society of Super-Villains comprises The Wizard, the Gentleman Ghost, Harlequin, Hazard, Icicle, Tigress and Solomon Grundy:


 and the Immortal Villain, Vandal Savage, behind the scenes:

If I ran Batman, I'd introduced a female Robin (daughter of Ruby Ryder, Bruce Wayne's antagonist with the monogrammed belt in Brave and Bold). I'd also try to rehabilitate some of the Adam West villains: Bookworm, Egghead and King Tut.


 While I've been enjoying Grant Morrison's Batman Inc., I would prefer to see Dick Grayson return to his Nightwing role and leading the Outsiders again. If the JLA include the marquee names of the DCU, the Outsiders are a little more funky and off-beat:


 Telepathic powerhouse Martian Manhunter; fabulous freak of 1001 chemicals, Metamorpho; unhinged Joker in the pack, the Creeper; lethal swordswoman Katana; and Black Lightning's daughter Thunder.
 I'd pit them against these guys: the Council's Manhunter and the assassin Curare.
 Here are some more allies and potential Outsiders. Quirky crimebuster The Odd Man; Catman, the breakout star of the Secret Six (although I see him reverting to type pretty quickly) and Element Girl:

 Next: If I ran the Legion of Super-Heroes. I want to double the membership limit for a start...

The Legal Bit. This is a blog for fun, nostalgia and comment. All images are assumed copyright of their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment